Sabtu, 01 Oktober 2011

Be Different, Be Independent, Be You!

My friends often call me a weirdo.

At first, I didn’t care about that name. But gradually I felt disturbed. And here I need to defense myself. I need to tell that there are many weird people around us and even much weirder than I am.


Let me tell you the examples. In my campus I have a friend (to cover her real identity, let us just call her ‘the-weirdo’). One time in our campus, ‘the-weirdo’ was doing a cross word puzzle while waiting for the lecture to come to class. But there was a word she couldn’t figure out. ‘The-weirdo’ asked her friend, Petra.


“Eh, Pet! Four letters: malang, sial[1]?”
“NAAS
[2]!” Petra said enthusiastically.
“Four letters, Pet!” The-Weirdo wasn’t sure.
“Yes. Naas is four letters!” Petra assured her impatiently.
“But the second letter is A!” the-weirdo became the-stupid. My friends and I in the class room were waiting for Petra reaction. Petra couldn’t control her emotion, “That is NAAS!”
“NO, FOUR LETTERS! THE SECOND LETTER IS A!” The-weirdo insisted.
“YES! IT’S NAAS!!!” Petra exploded.

Silent.



‘Mmm, hey, you’re right.’ The-weirdo said.

There was also a weirdo in my office. He is an Office Boy (once more, to cover his real identity, let us just call him the-OB. One day, when I wanted to go to a bathroom, I was very surprised! I saw the seated toilet was broken in two pieces. Can you imagine the toilet made of the-big-strong-porcelain-seated toilet can break that way?! In my mind, there were critical questions: who broke it? Was there anyone broke the toilet as a result of terrorism? Or was there anyone pooped a bomb?


After that, I know that someone who broke the toilet was the-OB. He pooped by squatting in the seated toilet.

Now! Who is weirder?


But as the time went by, as the age went by, I understand more that I am really weird. I like to write and also like to be alone. You can say that I am introvert. Sometimes, I could not hear let alone listen people talking near me or to me when I was reading a book or anything else. It is like I am in my own world when I am reading books.

I had sent SMS to Petra and made her cry successfully –but I didn’t mean it. And she didn’t speak to me in a week.

After one week she wanted to meet me. I thought she wanted to say sorry for her fault, her big fault. And I will always accept her apology. I met Petra and she said that she didn’t speak to me was that because she wanted to give me a lesson!

I asked her for the reason. She said that it was because my answer in my last-week-SMS. Yes, I remembered the SMS that I sent her at that time. I wrote that she was like a STONE! I thought that was not rude, but maybe I sent the message in bad time. Maybe at that time she needed someone to share about her problem.

And she cried.

To be honest, there are many of my friends (especially girls), cried because of what I did or said. And here I am rethinking: am I really a weirdo?

With my weirdness, I see people through my perspective. And because I have different perspective with others, so it also creates a different result. Or with the simple word, I am weird!

Eventhough the word ‘weird’ here does not always have bad connotation. Maybe every one has her or his own ‘weirdness’. That’s because we have different point of view, every point of view looks from its own mindsets. The way we speak, the way we walk, the way we act must be different from one to another. That is something that makes us different, makes our own ‘weirdness’.

I am thinking about my self. I am not a follower. I am not such a follower that follows to see orchestra or listen to jazz so that I will look like a gentleman. Or I am proud because I ever climbed the highest mountain in Indonesia. I am not someone who pretends to be sad when I watch movies or when I read poems, maybe some people think that sad is romantic, and romantic is a style.

I am not a person who puts other people good impression at the first place and makes it more important than what I really want and like. Be different, be independent, be you!


[1] Indonesian word means unfortunate
[2] Indonesian word, synonym of the first footnote